Wednesday, May 17, 2017

The Apple of Their Eyes - May 2017



The Apple of Their Eyes


May 5th was Harper's Kindergarten Music program.  She had been excitedly talking about it, practicing songs, and telling us all the details for months.  One set of grandparents attended.  We pre-ordered the official school video to show the other set of grandparents and cousins.  This was THE event of the year so far for Ms. Harper.

And, it did not disappoint.  The amount of energy, enthusiasm, and overall cute-ness of 80ish kindergartners singing their hearts out was just too much.  We clapped and waved and laughed and gave "thumbs up" signs.  Harper is typically pretty reserved and leans on the shy side, but in this program, she came to life!  Her singing was strong.  Her actions were bold.  Her smiles was wide.  Afterward, she told me it was even better than she imagined. 



 My heart was bursting with happiness and pride.

Harper and Rory do things big and small each day (well, most days) to make me proud.  They don't have to perform or demonstrate a new skill for me to feel proud of them.  Sometimes it's just a thoughtful, kind comment or a though-provoking question.  They teach me lessons every day and allow me to feel every emotion under the sun; pride and wonder being two of them.  

And, they feel such pride in themselves.  "Mommy look at this!"  "Mommy, guess what I can do?"  I hear phrases like this all the time.  Young children are so eager to learn and so proud to share their accomplishments with others.  

Thinking of their pride makes me wonder:  when is the last time I felt proud of something I did?

It only took a flip through the photos on my phone to find something.  A couple of weeks ago, I completed a half-marathon.  I say "completed" because I did not run the entire thing.  The Horsetooth Half Marathon in Fort Collins is tough!  Lots of ups and downs over the hills to the west of our home.  It was a gorgeous spring day and I had trained with an inspiring group of friends.  Given the hours I'd spent training in February, March, and April, I felt so relieved to cross the finish line and get my medal and free beer!!  It is safe to say that 13.1 miles is a bit beyond my comfort-zone.

After the race, both Harper and Rory ( and Eric too) gave me big hugs and asked lots of questions.   'Did you win?"  (ummmm.  no).  "Who won the race?"  (ummmm, I don't know).  "Why did you run so far?"  (good question!).  "Did you get to eat snacks and drink water?"  (yes, water and gatorade).  "Did you have to go potty?"  (again, yes).  
They seemed curious and pleased to be there at the chaotic, noisy finish.

Once we got home, I looked at the photos both Eric and I took of the race.  He and some other dads and kids collaborated to amass quite the cheering squad, complete with signs and noise-makers.  The photos he took of us runners running toward the kids is great.  We are so excited to see them!  I took a couple of the kids holding signs and anxiously awaiting high-fives from the moms in the group.


But my favorite, is a pic Eric took of me in the last quarter-mile.  I had just stopped to give Harper and Rory quick mini-hugs and had started running again.  I look excited to finish the race.  
 
 And, the look on Harper and Rory's faces is priceless to me.  Here's the zoom in.  


The looks of excitement and that's-my-mommy-pride fill my heart to overflow status.

I signed up for this race to get outside, gain strength and endurance, and socialize with my friends.  I need those things to be a happy, healthy Haley.  And, I gained something else in the process.  I realized that my kids are capable of feeling proud of me for doing something that isn't even connected to their ego-centric little selves.

As parents, we give so much of our energy and so much of our selves to our children.  We tend to their needs, support their dreams, and celebrate their accomplishments.  

AND, there is huge value in us parents challenging ourselves, getting out of our comfort zones, and accomplishing a goal we set for ourselves.  I feel strongly that if we want our kids to be resilient, to think outside of themselves, and develop healthy relationships, we have to be willing to demonstrate that we are complex people.  Even though being a mother is the most important thing in the world to me.  It's not the only important thing in my world.  I hope they will come to understand that, respect that, and live that as well.

So, when is the last time  you made yourself proud?  your kids proud?  Or, for my non-parent friends, when is the last time you made someone important to you proud?  

You don't have to run a half-marathon.  Just try something new and share that experience with others.  Feel the pride.  Relish it.  Share it.

Ready - Set - Go! 

No comments:

Post a Comment